|The Old Buffalo Church
The Old Buffalo Church Cemetery is on a small hill on the east side of Highway
1249 opposite the Buffalo Baptist Church. Among those buried here are Ingram
and Elizabeth Nichols Renner, George W. Decker, and Elisha and Emeline Cornett
The land, owned at one point by Ingram, was probably part of the grant
Jacob Renner Sr
began in 1826 and which was ultimately
granted to Thomas
Nichols in 1838. It is possible Jacob may be buried here. The cemetery was
neglected for many years and is referred to as a "jungle" in the
Rockcastle County Cemetery Book. This cemetery contains many unmarked graves.
This is also the site of the
Pleasant Valley Baptist
Church. The building existed until at least the 1930s.
Burials stopped taking place here in part because the ground is very rocky just
beneath the surface.